Council of Great Lakes Fishery Agencies
The Council of Great Lakes Fishery Agencies was created in A Joint Strategic Plan for Management of Great Lakes Fisheries (Plan). The primary responsibility of this committee is to guide and support the process of implementing the Plan. In doing so, the Council will consider issues pertinent to, or referred by, the Great Lakes Fishery Commission. Likewise, the Council may develop issues or recommendations for referral to other organizations, as well as to the commission. Resolutions of the Council may also be implemented under the authority of represented agencies. The Council does not duplicate the tasks of other management committees, but rather it reinforces, adds value, and supports them.
- To ensure mutual accountability of the Parties to the Plan.
- To provide guidance and support to the Plan's institutional arrangements.
- To encourage and support timely and effective information exchange between fishery law enforcement agencies and fishery managers.
- To ensure that environmental objectives are articulated and reciprocal strategies with environmental agencies are developed.
- To represent fishery interests to the most appropriate body or process on unresolved or emerging environmental issues which may be referred to the Council by Lake Committees or the Council of Lake Committees.
- To inform and educate on a basin-wide perspective, including the development and implementation of a strategic communications framework that details the roles and responsibilities of the Parties and the Great Lakes Fishery Commission.
Members (representing signatories to the Plan)
- Dave Brown, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, Chair
- Justine Hasz, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, Vice Chair
- James Dexter, Michigan Department of Natural Resources
- Tom Gorenflo, Chippewa Ottawa Resource Authority
- Scott Hale, Ohio Department of Natural Resources
- Thomas Hoggarth, Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Stephen Hurst, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- Kristopher Kuhn, Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission
- Bill Mattes, Great Lakes Indian Fish and Wildlife Commission
- Michael McClelland, Illinois Department of Natural Resources
- Brad Parsons, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
- Ed Rutherford, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Brian Schoenung, Indiana Department of Natural Resources
- Russell Strach, U.S. Geological Survey
- Tony Swader, 1854 Treaty Authority
- Aaron Woldt, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Updated: June, 2019
Publications and Products
No recent press releases available.